Do you feel like you’re fighting a losing battle with time when it comes to your skin? Premature aging is caused by several factors. If your skin care regimen isn’t cutting it, consider if avoiding any of these factors could help restore your skin:
- Sun damage can age your skin prematurely and put you at higher risk for skin cancer. In fact, 80% of sun damage that causes skin aging occurs before people turn 18 years old, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Ingredients in skin care products like aloe can reduce pain from sun damage, but it’s best to protect yourself from sun damage in the first place.
- Stress can worsen inflammatory skin conditions like eczema, rosacea, psoriasis and acne. It can also cause hives, skin rashes and fever blister flare-ups. Cut down on stress or talk to your doctor about gentle acne, psoriasis and rosacea treatments.
- Diet can play a strong role in the condition of your skin. Alcohol and caffeine act as diuretics. When you can’t hold onto water, your skin can take on a dry, washed-out, prune-like appearance. The preservatives in junk food can have the same effect. Eating right can improve the appearance of your skin.
- Smoking can also damage your skin’s health. In fact, smoking 30 cigarettes a day can age your skin an extra 14 years by the time you turn 70, in addition to many other health problems. Cut down on smoking or quit altogether to keep skin looking youthful.
- Sleep is a factor in healthy skin as well, according to a study released last year by Estee Lauder. Inadequate sleep can reduce the health of your skin and increase its visible age. Women who don’t get enough sleep don’t recover as well from sun exposure and show more signs of premature skin aging. Sleeping on your side or face can also create lines on your face that can deepen into wrinkles, so it’s important to sleep on your back if you can.
- Sweat can irritate your skin, especially if you’re wearing a hat or helmet. Washing the skin twice a day and after heavy sweating can mitigate the effects of sweat.
- Skin care products, when misused, can do more harm than good. Scrubbing can irritate your skin and accelerate skin aging, while gently cleansing your skin removes makeups and pollutants without damage. Skin care products that burn or sting your skin cause irritation, and therefore accelerate aging. Natural skin care products are often gentler on your skin and keep you looking youthful.